To promote international exchange and global cooperation mainly with citizens, and deepening mutual understanding and friendly relations.
- SWIE (Society of Wako International Exchenge)
- February 15, 1997
- Takeharu Chikanaga
- About 100 people
- Wako City, Saitama Prefecture sent a team of 23 citizens to the sister city of Longview, Washington, United States.
- February 1997
- A total of 40 members (together with 23 members of the delegation and 17 volunteers) started up this society.
Our activities started to interact with assistant language teachers from Longview.
- June 1997
- The first Japanese teacher training program (for Japanese native speakers) was started.
We have held that irregularly since then.
- April 1998
- Japanese language class (for people from abroad to learn Japanese) was started.
- October 1998
- A free chatting class named HIROBA was started.
- June 1999
- A cooking class was held.
In the cooking class, a student of our Japanese language class teaches home country cooking as a teacher.
- July 2010
- Held a presentation meeting that each Japanese language student makes a speech on the student's favorite theme.
We don't hold the presentation meeting when we hold a gathering and these events are continuing now.
- September 2014
- Lecture for International Understanding was held.
In the lecture, a student of our Japanese language class talk about their home country as a teacher.